tv Good Morning Washington 5am ABC February 24, 2017 5:00am-6:00am EST
district. shots fired at police - and they fire back, leaving a suspect dead. we have team coverage from the scene and the hospital where two officers are recovering. but we begin where this all went down. q mccray is live in northeast d-c. as q mentioned - those two injured officers in stable condition right now, here at medstar
- 2 more 70 days (warmest today) - rain/thunderstorms tomorrow afternoon (warmest today) - rain/thunderstorms tomorrow afternoon - breezy & cooler sunday today: mostly sunny and very warm. highs: 73-78 winds: s 5-15 g 20 mph tonight: mainly clear to partly cloudy. mild. lows: 52-58 winds: s 5-10 mph saturday: partly sunny to mostly cloudy. afternoon rain & thunderstorms. breezy to windy. highs: 65-70 winds: sw 10-20 g 30 mph
the area at the time because of a different shooting spree just a few hours before. sam sweeney is at the live desk following this for us - sam? a busy night for d-c police. four men were shot in three separte shooting incidents on the same road and this all happened within two hours. around six o'clock last night po
the 33-hundred block of wheeler road southeast. then around 7:30, police returned to the 35-hundred block of wheeler road, where a second man was found. about twenty minutes later - two men were shot in four-thousand block. all of the injured victims are expected to survive. all of these shootings came just hours after police chief peter newsham was in the trindad neighborhood listening to concerns from residents about crime. so far no word on a possible suspect or if these three shootings are connected. breaking news now from southeast d-c. a carjacking - turning into a police chase. it ended at benning road near c street just before three this morning. two people were arrested. benning road is now back open. new overnight - a domestic-related shooting in prince george's county, now being investigated as a
- who's only been identified as a young man - died at the hospital. the shooting happened just before nine at a home on buckler road in clinton. a suspect is in custody. happening today... president trump- will address c-pac. the speech is set for 10 a-m at national harbor. it comes a day after vice president mike pence addressed the crowd -and had words for that familiar foe of the administration: the media. pence went on to say that president trump has assembled the strongest conservative cabinet in his lifetime. the vice president also applauded republican efforts to repeal and replace obamacare. pence - calling it "america's nightmare". today, the prince george's county
plan to protest at national harbor over the affordable care act. that demonstration is set for right when the president will be speaking. it seems spring has sprung, long before cherry blossom season. temperautres pushing near 80 yesterday - and we've got more of that coming. and we're getting the oscars party started this morning. a live report from hollywood - still ahead. yeah. we love low prices. no bones about it. [ laughter ]
abc 7 live desk. we're following brand new developments out iraq this morning. iraqi forces just entered the first western neighborhood in mosul as they try to retake that city. in just the last 12 hours, the iraqi military retook the city's airport from isis fighters. right now us and iraqi forces are dropping one bomb every 8 minutes in the area in an effort to gain control of the city thats been under isis control since 2014. the eastern region of that city has already been liberated. jummy, larry back upstairs to you. we just two days now until the oscars! hollywood is in final preparation mode - making sure that red carpet looks just right. and guess who i
are pretty obvious-- but there's something else you don't even think about when you leave your home. consumer reporter john matarese shows us the surpising culprit...so you don't waste your money. 0-10 117-128 time now for weather - 2 more 70 days (warmest today) - rain/thunderstorms tomorrow afternoon
- 2 more 70 days (warmest today) - rain/thunderstorms tomorrow afternoon - breezy & cooler sunday today: mostly sunny and very warm. highs: 73-78 winds: s 5-15 g 20 mph tonight: mainly clear to partly cloudy. mild. lows: 52-58 winds: s 5-10 mph saturday: partly sunny to mostly cloudy. afternoon rain & thunderstorms. breezy to windy. highs: 65-70 winds: sw 10-20 g 30 mph you could soon cash-in on all that time spent sitting in
the virginia tech transportation insitute is looking for commuters who drive daily on the beltway, i-66, route 29 or route 50. to qualify, your car must have "adaptive cruise control." that lets your car adjust to the speed of the car in front of you. qualifying drivers could get up to 38-hundred dollar
trading-in or selling your car, truck or suv? webuyanycar.com takes the hassle out of selling in just 3 easy steps. one, get your free online valuation. two, drive to your local car buying center. and three, walk out with your check in as little as 30 minutes ! so don't wait...get your free online valuation now at webuyanycar.com. ♪find out how much your car is worth at webuyanycar.com♪
two police officers shot in northeast. here is what we know. those two officers - are in stable condition. a suspect involved in the gun battle is dead. it happened in the trididad neighborhood. there was a heavier police presence in the area following several other shootings earlier in the evening. good morning washington i'm larry smith. and i'm jummy olbanji. from the scene to the hospital--- we have team coverage of the police shooting all morning long - let's start this half hour with john gonazlez live at medstar washington hospital center. ] trt 21 out ... preliminary stages.
- breezy & cooler sunday today: mostly sunny and very warm. highs: 73-78 winds: s 5-15 g 20 mph tonight: mainly clear to partly cloudy. mild. lows: 52-58 winds: s 5-10 mph saturday: partly sunny to mostly cloudy. afternoon rain & thunderstorms. breezy to windy. highs: 65-70 winds: sw 10-20 g 30 mph we're following more breaking news in the district. sam sweeney is at
jummy a wild police chase overnight ended while you were asleep in the district. it started in prince georges county. pg police began this pursuit, then dc police took over, but it ended with park police stopping the car and making 2 arrests. . brand new video just into our newsroom of the 2 people being taken into custody. its belived this started as a car jacking. the good news this ended with no injuries. right now we are working to find out who these people are and will let you know as soon as we have it. im sam sweeney at the live desk. jummy larry back upstairs to you. a crime alert in montgomery county. a man nearly carjacked in a
- while his two young children were inside the car. it happened around eight o'clock last night in the parking lot at holy cross hospital. the suspect ran off when he realized people were in the car, but was arrested by police. a 7 on your side health alert now: nine pregnant women are suspected to have zika virus in d-c. and it might not end there. as we first told you last week - a lab is retesting hundreds of samples- after an error with tests done last summer. zika is a mosquito-borne virus that has been linked to birth defects. an effort is underway in virginia to combat a growing health crisis.. opioid abuse. governor terry mcauliffe signed four bills yesterday aimed at fighting what's become an epidemic. one bill would increase access to the overdose reversal drug, naloxone. another would provide services to infants exposed to opioids while in the womb. health officials estimate.. more than a thousand people in virginia died from fatal opioid overdoses last year.
- 2 more 70 days (warmest today) - rain/thunderstorms tomorrow afternoon - breezy & cooler sunday today: mostly sunny and very warm. highs: 73-78 winds: s 5-15 g 20 mph tonight: mainly clear to partly cloudy. mild. lows: 52-58 winds: s 5-10 mph saturday: partly sunny to mostly cloudy. afternoon rain & thunderstorms. breezy to windy. highs: 65-70 winds: sw 10-20 g 30
faction r the fourth year in a row. only fios has the fastest internet, on the most awarded network. get this amazing offer: 150 meg internet with equal upload and download speeds, tv and phone for just $79.99 per month for the first year. cable can't offer internet speeds this fast at a price this good, only fios can.
here at medstar washington hospital. our john gonzalez is there, getting updates. we'll have a live report from him coming up at six o'clock. new developments overnight in the death of kim jong nam. sam sweneey is at the live desk.. malaysian officials have now confirmed a deadly nerve agent is responsible for killing the half brother of the north korean leader. the poison is called "v-x nerve agent." the substance is considered a weapon of mass destruction by the united nations. kim jong nam died nearly two weeks ago. he had complained of feeling sick, after a wo
chemicals while at the kuala lumpur airport. this morning, president trump will give a much anticipated speech at the conservative political action conference.. known as c-pac. the event is taking place at national harbor. meanwhile.. the president is pushing for the u.s. to become the world's dominant nuclear power. right now, russia has slightly more nuclear warheads than the united states. mr. trump has expressed concern that the u.s. has fallen behind on nuclear weapons capacity. president trump's foreign policy was focused yesterday on relations with mexico. his secretaries of state and homeland security met with officials in mexico city. the visit was an effort to cool tensions over the president's new immigration policies. coming up at six - a murder mystery solved. the break in the case of beauty queen killed more than decade ago.
warmth - spring break is over in chicago. a look at the wild weather moving in overnight. and the first reviews are in for "get out". the big milestone the movie has already reached - on the same day it hits theaters! happening now.. d-c police, searching for one -- or more -- gunmen behind a string of robberies in northwest. they all happened in the last few nights- in an upscale neighborhood near american university. one man says he was on massachusetts avenue wednesday night when someone shoved a gun in his face. he says three criminals stole his i-phone and headphones. two other victims were robbed of their phones nearby.. one on glenbrook road, the other on idaho avenue. it's unclear if the robberies are linked. the latest now on the man pulled from a burning car sunday night by d.c. police officers.. we showed you the dramatic bodycam video of the incident this week. michael smith lives in montgomery county, and he'll have a second operation today. he shattered a leg and his pelvis, and has seven broken ribs. his wife says he's now seen the video.
smith's wife says he's diabetic. she thinks he may have passed out before crashing into a pole on bladensburg road, northeast. michael smith says when he's out of the hospital he wants to meet the officers.. and thank them. it appears that metro riders can look forward to fare hikes and service cuts. at the board meeting - board chairman jack evans said that will likely happen when metro's new budget takes effect in july. evans had opposed raising fares and cutting service -- but changed his mind because of the agency's bleak finanicial situation. the board has to figure out how to close a 300-million-dollar budget gap. they'll vote on a new budget next month. today -
history month in a very special way. 100 fifth graders from watkins elementary school will read martin luther king's "i have a dream speech". and even more special - they'll read it on the steps of the lincoln memorial.. the same spot doctor king delivered that speech more than 50 years ago. it's 5: and time for a check on weather. - 2 more 70 days (warmest today) - rain/thunderstorms - 2 more 70 days (warmest today) - rain/thunderstorms tomorrow afternoon - breezy & cooler sunday today: mostly sunny and very warm. highs: 73-78 winds: s 5-15 g 20 mph tonight: mainly clear to partly cloudy. mild. lows: 52-58 winds: s 5-10 mph saturday: partly sunny to mostly cloudy. afternoon
we are giving away tickets to the show next wednesday. call the number on your screen right now. 703-528-7334. caller number seven wins two tickets! it's the movie everyone's so excited about - disney's new beauty and the beast! the release is still three weeks away. but you could be the first to see it! starting monday - we're giving away tickets to a special advanced screening at the regal magestic theater in silver spring. don't miss your chance to win - monday, only on good morning washington! ad lib props now to the hollywood's biggest night. the oscars - now
>> now "good morning washington" on your side, we begin with a breaking news alert. police officers suffered gunshot wounds and the injuries appeared to be non-life-threatening. we have a suspect who received gunshot wounds and he has been pronounced at a local hospital. that in northwest washington, d.c., to police officer shot in the suspect's guilt. -- killed. jummy: his chief speaking and we have crews at the scene. john gonzalez is at the hospital where the officers have been. any change in their condition overnight? john: no change. one of the officers underwent surgery on